Monday, April 26, 2010

and soon to be a SALAD!!!

The garden is officially planted...now, we just hope it grows!!! We have two 4'x8' raised planters and two pails both with ingredients for salad (minus the lettuce). I have grown tomatoes and yellow bell peppers since my college days; using my trusty hand-decorated garden pails.  This was a BH&G project from 1999...works perfectly!  This year I have planted cherry tomatoes in my pail...yummy in the tummy!

If you want to make your own garden pails, here are the constructions: Purchase a 3 gallon Galvanized bucket (local hardware store).Decorate the outside with a Smiley-face using paint (paint-PENS...much easier) and the vegetable as the nose. Punch holes in the bottom (just a few to allow for drainage) and line (the bottom) with rocks (to assist with drainage).  Fill with dirt and plant your veggie!  Don't forget to Water!
This is just one of our planters...here we have Straight-Necked Yellow Squash and Cucumbers in the other we have two different types of Tomatoes and Green Bell Peppers!  Can you tell I love Tomatoes!! I hope everything grows well this year...last year, I was a bit zealous and over planted. Very few things grew...I really just hope it is not my 'brown" thumb shining through...
Hope you have a Happy Growing Season!!!


2 comments:

SouthernDogwoods said...

Adorable buckets! We did not plant one this year and I am sad about it. The best veggies come start from your garden.

Annie said...

I love the way you planted it.